Land Animals also are known as Terrestrial animals are the animal species that live predominantly on land. There are many examples such as Tiger, Lion, cats, ants, spiders and the list goes on. There are amazing animals in the world right from the furious tiger or lion or the elegance of the deer. Let me list down some of the best land animals in the world.
- Wolf is car carnivorous Canines that can be seen in various colors and breeds.
- There are two species of Wolfs grey wolf and red wolf. Grey wolf is known to have 38 different subspecies.
- The Wolf fur can be white, black and grey.
- Wolf is the ultimate predators who did not have natural enemies and loves to eat goats, sheep, deer, moose and other smaller prey.
- Wolf have excellent eyesight which is extremely sensitive to the movements, however, they are not able to distinguish colors.
- Wolf among its herd used to communicate with facial expressions and body postures.
- The average lifespan of Wolf is 13 years in the wild and up to 16 years in the captivity.
- The elephant is the largest land mammal in the world.
- There are three known species of Elephants Indian, savannah and forest elephants. Indian elephants have smaller ears as compared to Savannah and forest elephants.
- It is used to sleep 2-3 hours per day and the rest of the time they are eating. It loves to eat acacia and in some scenario when ants crawl on the tree elephants will move away from the tree because it can damage the trunk.
- The skin of the elephant is one inch thick and it can even burn in the Sun so, elephants used to cover it in mud to protect it from the sun.
- Elephants flap its ears to cool themselves and inside the water, it can use its trunk as a snorkel.
- It is also listed as one of the best animals in the world.
- Elephant average lifespan is 60-70 years in the wild and in captivity its 80 years.
- Cheetah is the fastest land animal on planet earth that can run at speed of 80 – 130 km/h.
- It is mostly seen in the grasslands, savannas and semi-arid area that have an open area and plenty of preys.
- Cheetah can be easily recognised by its orange fur covered with black spots and two black lines called “black tears”.
- It loves to hunt warthogs, rabbits, francolins, gazelles, antelopes, impalas, porcupines, springhares and sometimes even ostriches.
- Cheetah cub used to be with his mother till 18 months and accompany for the hunt from 5 to 6 weeks itself.
- Cheetah is the fastest wild cats in the world with a speed of 93 kilometres per hour / 58 miles per hour.
- The average lifespan of the cheetah is 12 years in the wild and 17 years in captivity.
4. Red Fox
- Red Fox is the largest of true foxes that belong to the Carnivora family in the Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic Circle to North Africa, North America and Eurasia.
- It is known for its fur colour and bushy tail. Also, it uses its tail as a cover in the winter when laying down.
- Red foxes are omnivores and love to hunt on coyotes, bald eagles, grey wolves, bears and mountain lions.
- The average lifespan of foxes is 3 years in the wild and 10-12 years in captivity.
- It can make 12 different vocal sounds, howvever, he ids will produce only 8 sounds.
- Red Foxes are nocturnal animals and pounce on their prey to catch it.
- The species are in constantly in the hunt for food. Even if they are not hungry, they will save it for the next meal.
- Deer is the member of the family Cervidae and can be seen on all continents except Australia and on Antarctica.
- It loves to thrive in forests mostly temperate forests, tropical rainforests or deciduous, coniferous and mixed forests.
- Deer legs are the thing which is no suited for colder regions.
- Northern pudu is the smallest species of deer that weighs only 20 pounds, however, Mosse is the largest type of deer with approximately 1000 pounds of weight.
- It loves to eat twigs, leaves, grass, fruit and lichens.
- Deer are wild animals that cannot be domesticated.
- Lions are one of the largest cats in the world mostly seen in the southern and eastern parts of Africa.
- Its is seen in groups known as “pride” and each pride is composed of one or two males and a multiple numbers of female species.
- Lions are carnivores and hunts antelopes, zebras and wildebeests.
- It also acts alike scavengers where they attack hyenas and steals its prey.
- Lioness gives birth to 1-3 cubs each 2 years.
- When lion and tiger mate, a new type of animal named liger is created which has tripped like tiger but the colour of its fur is pale somewhat like a lion.
- The average life span is 15 years in the wild but they can survive upto 25-30 years in captivity.
- Till two years lions cannot roar, however, after learning, their roar can be heard till 5 miles.
- The worst enemies of lions are Porcupine because their sharp quills can be stuck in the lion’s jaw for a lifetime.
- It is also listed as one of the dangerous animals in the world.
- Tiger is the biggest cat in the world and can be seen in various forests such as tropical, savannas and Siberian.
- Tigers have unique stripes where they are placed in a positioned and used for the identification of tigers.
- White tigers are very rare in nature and have white fur with stripes and blue eyes.
- Tigers are solitary animals and met only in mating season.
- It used to mark its territory with the help of urine and liquid from a gland that has an intensive smell.
- Tigers love to eat large mammals like wild boars and deer, however, they can attack python, crocodile and even a bear.
- The average lifespan is 10-15 years in the wild and around 20 in captivity.
- Leopard is also one of the biggest cats in the world and has 9 subspecies mostly seen in Africa and Asia.
- It can survive various climate that includes rainforests, coastal scrublands, woodlands and swamps to the deserts, steppes and mountains.
- The species can reach upto 36 to 74.4 feet in length and 46 to 165 pounds of weight.
- Talking about the appearance, It has a yellow or golden coat which is covered with rose-shaped black markings called rosettes. It is one of the land animals with the best animal patterns.
- It loves to eat and prey on gazelles, antelopes, monkeys, snakes, warthogs and porcupines.
- It is an ambush predator that used to attack the neck of its prey.
- Leopard used to mark its territory with urine and claw marks on the trees.
- The average lifespan of the animal species is 12 to 15 years in the wild and up to 23 years in the captivity.
- Alligators are one of the largest reptiles and believed to have appeared on the planet 37 million years ago.
- Two species of alligators exists, American alligator which is seen in the southern parts of the USA and Chinese alligators that lives in the eastern parts of China.
- Talking about the appearance, Alligators have a dark and black-coloured body.
- Alligators has one of the strongest bites in the world because it has weak muscles can open its jaws.
- They can hunt both inland and water,howvever, they are faster in water.
- Alligator climbs on the trees and fences with ease.
- The average lifespan of the alligator is unknown.
- It is also listed as one of the cutest reptiles and amphibians in the world.
- Dogs are one of the domesticated mammals that belong to the Canis familiaris.
- There are numerous dog species from tiny Chihuahua to the enormous Great Dane.
- Dogs can be breed for better appearance and temperament.
- As per the study, The United States has the highest pet dog population in the world.
- The domestic dog is a wolf-like canid in the genus Canis.
- It is also known as “Man’s best friend”.
- The Saluki is the world’s oldest dog breed.
- It is one of the amazing land animals in the world.
11. Polar Bear
- Polar bears are the largest species of bear in the wild and seen in the regions of the Arctic region of Russia, Alaska, Canada, Greenland, and Norway.
- They dont have any natural enemies, howvever, humans industrial revolution is causing melting of polar ice caps which is negatively affecting the numbers of polar bears.
- Male species can weigh up to 1500 pounds and 10m in length, however, females are two times smaller than males.
- Polar Bears have 10m thick blubber which helps them to keep them warm in low temperature and cold water.
- It is also listed one of the amazing bear species and subspecies in the world.
- Polar bears spend most of their time in the water while hunting seals.
- The average lifespan is 15-18 years in the wild and over 30 years in captivity.
- LYNX is a member of the cat family and currently, four species are known namely, Spanish, Canadian, Eurasian lynx and the bobcat.
- It is mostly seen in Europe, Asia and North America.
- Eurasian lynx is larger than American species but on an average, it can grow upto 32 to 40 inches in length and 4 to 8 inches in weight.
- Talking about the appearance, the body of the species is covered with beautiful, thick fur. The colour of the fur depends on the season.
- The main predators of lynx are cougars, wolves, coyotes and humans.
- Lynx is the national animal of Romania and listed in the national animals of Europe.
- The average lifespan of 14.5 years in the wild and over 25 years in captivity.
These are the best land animals in the world. Kindly share and do post your comments.